Coyotes' Shane Doan: Team pressed too hard during losing streak
"Early on in the season I think everybody wants to prove to the coach that they're going to work hard, and we take pride as a group, myself, everybody, as being a hard-working team," Doan told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "You can overwork, you can overpursue. You have to stay disciplined and stay inside your system."
Doan compared it to football when defensive linemen try so hard to reach the quarterback, they don't stick to their assignments and it gives the offense room to run the ball. He said the team finally settled down in Detroit and they were able to get back to basics.
"It was one of those games where everyone took a deep breath and said, ‘I'm going to trust everyone around me and we're going to do our jobs,'" Doan said. "And when we do our jobs, we're a good team."
The Coyotes won that game 4-2 and followed it up with a 2-1 victory in Philadelphia and a 5-3 win in Carolina. Though they were blown out in the first two games of the road trip, getting those three consecutive wins to close it out was a big accomplishment for the team.
"We played three games in three and a half days, in three different cities, in three time zones away," Doan said. "That was a tough little stretch for us and it was big to get points in all of them."
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.