Tippett: Return of veterans helping Coyotes' penalty kill
The reason for the turnaround, according to head coach Dave Tippett, lies in the return of veteran defensemen Rostislav Klesla and Derek Morris, who have 29 years of NHL experience combined.
"Those two veteran guys coming in on the penalty kill certainly helped, just to stabilize," Tippett told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Wednesday. "And that was like the rest of our game, we just needed to stabilize. We had some veteran players out, some young players playing and when things aren't going well, the veteran players tend to be able to grab that situation a lot easier and do some good things."
Another player Tippett believes will help the group going forward is center Jeff Halpern, who signed with the Coyotes on Oct. 12.
"He jumped in (Tuesday) night for his first game, did a real nice job, was eight-and-one on faceoffs," Tippett said. "He'll continue to grow with the group."
The team currently ranks 20th in the NHL with a 78.1 penalty kill percentage, but their 88.9 percent mark in the last five games would be good for a top-three spot.
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Coyotes poised to hit the reset button after losing identity
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.