Updated Oct 11, 2013 - 8:22 am
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes regroup, beat Red Wings in Detroit
The Coyotes went into the second intermission with a 2-2 tie, following goals by Derek Morris and Mikkel Boedker. Then, with less than five minutes to play in regulation, Mike Ribeiro got the puck to Michael Stone, who netted a picturesque go-ahead goal on Red Wings' goalie Jimmy Howard. It was Ribeiro's first point with the Coyotes.
Antoine Vermette, who assisted Morris' goal in the early part of the first period, scored an empty net goal with 0:51 on the clock to seal the victory.
Filling the Coyotes' net, Mike Smith notched 28 saves with an improved defense on the ice -- one that killed two power plays on the night.
The Coyotes outshot the Red Wings 38-30, winning 46 of 70 faceoffs, thanks to Martin Hanzal's 14-for-19 night and Vermette's 17-for-27.
After a players-only meeting that followed their 6-1 loss to the Islanders, the Coyotes looked regrouped on the ice in Detroit in all facets. Their go-ahead goal late in the game came seconds after the end of a well-run power play, and their defense looked much more organized against the Red Wings.
Kyle Chipchura notched a -1 +/- on the night, getting stuck with a pair of penalties in the first and third periods. He had three shots on goal and just one hit in his 14:49 of ice time.
Paul Bissonnette returned to the ice for the Coyotes Thursday, following a three-game suspension -- which was originally 10 games prior to an appeal -- that was issued in the preseason.
The Coyotes (2-2-0) take on the Philadelphia Flyers at 4:00 p.m. MDT at the Wells Fargo Center.
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?