New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen fined $5K for slashing Phoenix Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal
New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen was fined $5,000 Wednesday for slashing Phoenix Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal.
The slash came well behind the play on Tuesday night. With a little over six minutes remaining in the third period and the Isles up 6-1, Nielsen and Hanzal were battling for a puck in the Coyotes' end.
Hanzal won the battle, but the puck was not cleared. However, as Hanzal turned to rejoin the play, Nielsen swung his stick and hit Hanzal's right leg.
Immediately after, Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker came over and started a small scuffle with Nielsen.
Boedker was assessed a minor penalty for roughing and Nielsen was given a minor of his own for slashing.
Hanzal was not injured on the play.
The $5,000 fine will go to the NHL Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!