New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen fined $5K for slashing Phoenix Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal
New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen was fined $5,000 Wednesday for slashing Phoenix Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal.
The slash came well behind the play on Tuesday night. With a little over six minutes remaining in the third period and the Isles up 6-1, Nielsen and Hanzal were battling for a puck in the Coyotes' end.
Hanzal won the battle, but the puck was not cleared. However, as Hanzal turned to rejoin the play, Nielsen swung his stick and hit Hanzal's right leg.
Immediately after, Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker came over and started a small scuffle with Nielsen.
Boedker was assessed a minor penalty for roughing and Nielsen was given a minor of his own for slashing.
Hanzal was not injured on the play.
The $5,000 fine will go to the NHL Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.