New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen fined $5K for slashing Phoenix Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal
New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen was fined $5,000 Wednesday for slashing Phoenix Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal.
The slash came well behind the play on Tuesday night. With a little over six minutes remaining in the third period and the Isles up 6-1, Nielsen and Hanzal were battling for a puck in the Coyotes' end.
Hanzal won the battle, but the puck was not cleared. However, as Hanzal turned to rejoin the play, Nielsen swung his stick and hit Hanzal's right leg.
Immediately after, Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker came over and started a small scuffle with Nielsen.
Boedker was assessed a minor penalty for roughing and Nielsen was given a minor of his own for slashing.
Hanzal was not injured on the play.
The $5,000 fine will go to the NHL Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.