'Yotes Notes: Phoenix trails wire-to-wire in loss to Sharks
The Coyotes were dominated in nearly every facet of the game, and fell behind in the game's first minute and trailed 3-0 after the first period. The Coyotes failed to generate many opportunities and didn't capitalize on the few they had. Phoenix went 0-for-1 on power plays while San Jose was 2-for-4.
Despite allowing four goals, Coyotes goalkeeper Mike Smith made 47 saves - more than twice as many as his San Jose counterpart.
The Coyotes fell behind in the game's first minute after a poor line change, and Phoenix allowed two more goals in the first period.
While the Coyotes scored in the second to make it a 3-1 game, that was as close as they would get.
The Coyotes served four times as many penalty minutes as San Jose, and the Sharks had six times as many takeaways as Phoenix. San Jose also outshot the Coyotes 51-23.
HE SAID IT
"We didn't execute well and we got out-battled on loose pucks. When you don't have the puck ever, you're chasing the game." - Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett.
The Coyotoes play six of their first eight games on the road, and will play four East Coast games over the next week.
The Coyotes travel to New York to take on the New York Islanders on Tuesday at 4 p.m. in the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?