Updated Sep 16, 2013 - 5:27 pm
Phoenix Coyotes' Paul Bissonnette suspended 10 games by NHL
The league announced left wing Paul Bissonnette has been suspended for 10 games for leaving the bench area to join an on-ice altercation. He was assessed a game misconduct penalty Sunday, and the suspension is automatic.
At 12:09 of the first period, Bissonnette was assessed a Game Misconduct penalty under Rule 70.6, which states: "A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on the player who was the first or second player to leave the players' or penalty bench during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation, from either or both teams."
As for Jordan Nolan, whose hit on Rostislav Klesla led to the Coyote being carried off the ice on a stretcher, nothing will happen.
"The hit was punishing and resulted in Klesla suffering an injury," NHL Vice President of Hockey and Business Development and Director of Player Safety said. "However, in delivering it, Nolan broke no National Hockey League rules.
"Therefore, supplemental discipline is not warranted."
Bissonnette, who will forfeit $37,820.51 due to the suspension, will be eligible to return to the team on Oct. 24 when, incidentally, the Coyotes face off against the Kings in Los Angeles.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.