Coyotes begin 2013-14 with two preseason split-squad wins
In their two-goal win at home, the Coyotes received solid goaltending through two periods from Mike Smith (saved 15 of his last 16 shots after allowing a goal 51 seconds into the contest) and offensive production from the usual suspects (Shane Doan, Keith Yandle and Radim Vrbata combined for six points).
In his NHL debut, first-round pick Max Domi also held his own, recording one assist in just under 18 minutes of ice time.
Out in Los Angeles, the story of the night was the play of goaltender Tomas Greiss. Greiss, who signed a one-year deal with the team in July to backup Smith, stopped all 15 shots he faced in the four-goal victory.
Offensively, Rob Klinkhammer, Brandon Yip and Gilbert Brule each had a goal, and defenseman David Rundblad also contributed with a game-high three assists.
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?