Coyotes begin 2013-14 with two preseason split-squad wins
In their two-goal win at home, the Coyotes received solid goaltending through two periods from Mike Smith (saved 15 of his last 16 shots after allowing a goal 51 seconds into the contest) and offensive production from the usual suspects (Shane Doan, Keith Yandle and Radim Vrbata combined for six points).
In his NHL debut, first-round pick Max Domi also held his own, recording one assist in just under 18 minutes of ice time.
Out in Los Angeles, the story of the night was the play of goaltender Tomas Greiss. Greiss, who signed a one-year deal with the team in July to backup Smith, stopped all 15 shots he faced in the four-goal victory.
Offensively, Rob Klinkhammer, Brandon Yip and Gilbert Brule each had a goal, and defenseman David Rundblad also contributed with a game-high three assists.
- Tippett: Outdoor game in Phoenix would be 'great for our city'
- Coyotes coach Tippett: Backup G Thomas Greiss has 'earned the confidence of his teammates'
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Ice Bites: Where would the Coyotes host an outdoor NHL game?
- Report: Phoenix Coyotes ready to host outdoor game
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?