Coyotes GM Don Maloney: Oliver Ekman-Larsson stuck in Sweden
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Phoenix Coyotes will be without one of their premier defensemen when the team kicks off its 2013 camp on Thursday.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson is stuck in his native Sweden.
"Oliver has an immigration issue," Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney said media day Wednesday. "We're just waiting for him to get his visa back, hopefully sooner rather than later."
Maloney said the team has "no idea" on how long the paperwork will take or when OEL is expected to arrive, and he's not thrilled with the situation.
"I'm not happy about it," he said. "It's something the players are required to take care of. I think somewhere along the line the communication fell. He was lax in getting after it."
Maloney said the Coyotes have some avenues to possibly speed up the process.
Last season, Ekman-Larsson posted three goals and 21 assists in 48 games. He finished the season with a plus-5. He also led the team by spending an average 25:05 on the ice each game.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.