Coyotes sign LW Boedker to 2-year deal
A front-line forward who can play either wing, Boedker did not file for arbitration as a restricted free agent this summer, believing a deal with the Coyotes would get done before the start of training camp next Wednesday.
"I thought it was a fair deal," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said on Saturday. "He still has something to prove, show that he's producing for us. He does that, he'll get paid a lot more money. I thought it was a good deal for a good young player for us."
The eighth overall pick in the 2008 draft, Boedker had a superb first season with the Coyotes after four seasons playing in Europe, scoring 11 goals with 17 assists in 2008-09.
He bounced between the Coyotes and the AHL the next two seasons, but had 11 goals and 13 assists while playing all 82 games in 2011-12, helping Phoenix win an NHL division title and reach the Western Conference finals for the first time.
The 23-year-old from Denmark had seven goals and 19 assists during the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season and is projected to play on Phoenix's first line with newly acquired center Mike Ribeiro, who had 49 points in 48 games with Washington last season.
"He's a key part for us right now," Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said. "He's a player who's continued to get better the past couple of years and we look at him as a very valuable player for us this season."
Boedker has 34 goals and 61 assists in parts of five seasons with the Coyotes.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?