Daniel Alfredsson signing makes Shane Doan longest-serving NHL captain
Enjoy your place at the top, Mr. Doan.
When long-time Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson signed a deal that saw him become a Detroit Red Wing on Thursday, he vacated his spot as the longest-serving current NHL captain.
Taking his spot? Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan.
Doan, the heart of the team and face of the franchise, was originally named captain of the team in 2003. He is the last player remaining player with the franchise since it left Winnipeg for Phoenix in the mid-1990s.
Doan currently has a contract with the Coyotes through 2016.
Alfredsson was named captain of the Sens in 1999.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.