Daniel Alfredsson signing makes Shane Doan longest-serving NHL captain
Enjoy your place at the top, Mr. Doan.
When long-time Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson signed a deal that saw him become a Detroit Red Wing on Thursday, he vacated his spot as the longest-serving current NHL captain.
Taking his spot? Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan.
Doan, the heart of the team and face of the franchise, was originally named captain of the team in 2003. He is the last player remaining player with the franchise since it left Winnipeg for Phoenix in the mid-1990s.
Doan currently has a contract with the Coyotes through 2016.
Alfredsson was named captain of the Sens in 1999.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!