Phoenix Coyotes sign free agent center Mike Ribeiro
PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Coyotes signed free agent center Mike Ribeiro to a multi-year deal on Thursday.
TSN's Darren Dreger was the first to report that a deal was done.
TSN's Bob McKenzie reported the four-year deal has an average salary of $5.5 million per year and has a limited no-trade clause. The team has not disclosed the official terms.
"We are thrilled to sign Mike to a multi-year contract," Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney said in a press release. "Mike is an elite playmaker who has exceptional vision and creativity on the ice. He has tremendous offensive skills with great patience with the puck. Our Head Coach, Dave Tippett, is very familiar with Mike's game and believes he will be an excellent addition to our hockey club. We look forward to welcoming him to Phoenix."
Last season, Ribeiro scored 13 goals and 36 assists for a total of 49 points for the Washington Capitals.
Ribeiro has experience playing under coach Dave Tippett while both were with the Dallas Stars.
New #Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro posted 67-153-220 in 3 seasons under Dave Tippett in Dallas— Greg Dillard (@GregDillard) July 5, 2013
The 33-year-old Montreal, Quebec native also set career highs in goals (27), assists (56) and points (83) with Dallas in 2007-08 under Tippett.
Ribeiro is expected to be the upgrade the Coyotes were looking for on their power play. He had a league-high 21 power play assists last season and tied with Alexander Ovechkin for the NHL lead in power play points with 27.
In his career, Ribeiro has scored 186 goals and 423 assists for a total of 609 points in 785 career games.
Ribeiro was drafted in the second round by the Montreal Canadiens in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!