Updated Jun 30, 2013 - 1:54 pm
Phoenix Coyotes select Max Domi at No. 12 overall
A Toronto native, Domi is the son of former NHL player Tie Domi. As such, the Coyotes have now selected sons of former NHL players in three consecutive drafts, drafting Henrik Samuelsson, son of Ulf Samuelsson, in 2012 and Connor Murphy, son of Gord Murphy, in 2011.
At 18 years old, Domi is praised by scouts for his offensive prowess, which he displayed with his amateur team, the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. Central Scouting's No. 19 overall prospect in the 2013 NHL Draft, Domi stands at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds.
Unlike his father, Tie, who made his career as an enforcer in the NHL, the left-handed Domi is known for his speed and skill on the ice.
Domi's coach with the Knights, Dale Hunter -- also former Washington Capitals' coach -- described such skill in a recent interview with NHL.com.
"He has extensive offensive skills and his skating ability is — and I hate to say it — [Sidney] Crosby-esque," Hunter said. "You never want to compare [a player] to someone like that, but he has a very strong lower torso, so his center of gravity is amazing."
The Coyotes have six selections remaining in the draft, including No. 42 overall -- the 12th pick of the second round.
- Three multi-point performances pace Coyotes to win over Islanders
- 'Yotes Notes: Phoenix ends three-game home losing streak with win over Islanders
- Tippett: Outdoor game in Phoenix would be 'great for our city'
- Coyotes coach Tippett: Backup G Thomas Greiss has 'earned the confidence of his teammates'
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?