Updated Jun 30, 2013 - 1:54 pm
Phoenix Coyotes select Max Domi at No. 12 overall
A Toronto native, Domi is the son of former NHL player Tie Domi. As such, the Coyotes have now selected sons of former NHL players in three consecutive drafts, drafting Henrik Samuelsson, son of Ulf Samuelsson, in 2012 and Connor Murphy, son of Gord Murphy, in 2011.
At 18 years old, Domi is praised by scouts for his offensive prowess, which he displayed with his amateur team, the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. Central Scouting's No. 19 overall prospect in the 2013 NHL Draft, Domi stands at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds.
Unlike his father, Tie, who made his career as an enforcer in the NHL, the left-handed Domi is known for his speed and skill on the ice.
Domi's coach with the Knights, Dale Hunter -- also former Washington Capitals' coach -- described such skill in a recent interview with NHL.com.
"He has extensive offensive skills and his skating ability is — and I hate to say it — [Sidney] Crosby-esque," Hunter said. "You never want to compare [a player] to someone like that, but he has a very strong lower torso, so his center of gravity is amazing."
The Coyotes have six selections remaining in the draft, including No. 42 overall -- the 12th pick of the second round.
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.