Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 9:18 am
Coyotes, Dave Tippett agree on new contract
The deal is believed to be for five years.
"We are very pleased to agree to terms with Dave to a long-term contract extension," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said in a press release. "Elite coaching is required to win on a consistent basis and Dave is one of the best at his job in today's game. His work ethic, attention to detail, communicative skills and patience make him an ideal fit with our group as we work to build a franchise capable of winning the Stanley Cup."
Tippett took over the reins of the Coyotes just prior to the 2009-10 season and guided the team to a franchise-record 107 points and won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's top coach.
In four years on the Phoenix bench, Tippett has a 156-96-42 record and has led the team to the postseason three times, including their first-ever Western Conference Finals appearance in 2012.
"I am thrilled to stay with the Coyotes," Tippett said. "Don has done a very good job of assembling a great staff and group of players here and I like the direction we are headed. We've started to build a strong foundation and we are both looking forward to continuing to build a winning team here in the Valley and taking the next step as a first class organization."
Tippett's new deal comes about three weeks after the Coyotes also locked up Maloney to a new long-term contract.
The deal will be announced at a press conference Monday at noon in Glendale.
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.