Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 9:18 am
Coyotes, Dave Tippett agree on new contract
The deal is believed to be for five years.
"We are very pleased to agree to terms with Dave to a long-term contract extension," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said in a press release. "Elite coaching is required to win on a consistent basis and Dave is one of the best at his job in today's game. His work ethic, attention to detail, communicative skills and patience make him an ideal fit with our group as we work to build a franchise capable of winning the Stanley Cup."
Tippett took over the reins of the Coyotes just prior to the 2009-10 season and guided the team to a franchise-record 107 points and won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's top coach.
In four years on the Phoenix bench, Tippett has a 156-96-42 record and has led the team to the postseason three times, including their first-ever Western Conference Finals appearance in 2012.
"I am thrilled to stay with the Coyotes," Tippett said. "Don has done a very good job of assembling a great staff and group of players here and I like the direction we are headed. We've started to build a strong foundation and we are both looking forward to continuing to build a winning team here in the Valley and taking the next step as a first class organization."
Tippett's new deal comes about three weeks after the Coyotes also locked up Maloney to a new long-term contract.
The deal will be announced at a press conference Monday at noon in Glendale.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?