Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 9:18 am
Coyotes, Dave Tippett agree on new contract
The deal is believed to be for five years.
"We are very pleased to agree to terms with Dave to a long-term contract extension," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said in a press release. "Elite coaching is required to win on a consistent basis and Dave is one of the best at his job in today's game. His work ethic, attention to detail, communicative skills and patience make him an ideal fit with our group as we work to build a franchise capable of winning the Stanley Cup."
Tippett took over the reins of the Coyotes just prior to the 2009-10 season and guided the team to a franchise-record 107 points and won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's top coach.
In four years on the Phoenix bench, Tippett has a 156-96-42 record and has led the team to the postseason three times, including their first-ever Western Conference Finals appearance in 2012.
"I am thrilled to stay with the Coyotes," Tippett said. "Don has done a very good job of assembling a great staff and group of players here and I like the direction we are headed. We've started to build a strong foundation and we are both looking forward to continuing to build a winning team here in the Valley and taking the next step as a first class organization."
Tippett's new deal comes about three weeks after the Coyotes also locked up Maloney to a new long-term contract.
The deal will be announced at a press conference Monday at noon in Glendale.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.