Updated Jun 13, 2013 - 10:00 am
Bettman puts pressure on City of Glendale in Coyotes saga
The twists and turns that of this saga may finally be coming to an end, for both the NHL and the team.
Early Wednesday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly put the pressure onto the City of Glendale to get a deal done to keep the team in Glendale.
"I think everybody knows kind of what's on the table, and I think the puck is pretty much in the City of Glendale's end with respect to how they're going to deal with that," Daly said according to CBC.
The deadline the NHL is looking at is rumored to be June 25th, the last City Council meeting of the Glendale fiscal year.
July 1st begins the new fiscal year for the city.
When asked if the 25th is the deadline, Bettman said "maybe." He also mentioned that it's also possible a resolution could be done before then.
"It's been a complicated process," Bettman stated. "We in our minds, understand that we're dealing with a time frame, but a specific day isn't going to do it.
"But time is getting short and this is really going to be a decision that the City of Glendale is going to have to make."
The Coyotes were reportedly sold to an ownership group from Canada, which is currently negotiating a lease agreement of Jobing.com Arena with the City Council.
If a deal can not be made to keep the team in Phoenix then the NHL will be forced to relocate the Coyotes.
Quebec, Seattle and Kansas City are mentioned as likely relocation spots for the Coyotes.
"There are a number of markets that have been expressing interest to us over the years and the phone keeps ringing more regularly the longer that the Coyotes situation stays unresolved," Bettman said.
The good news for Coyotes fans is that there is an ownership group that is negotiating to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix and optimism remains on the team staying in Glendale.
"We're optimistic that we can get it done, but it isn't done yet," Bettman said. "Until it's all done, it isn't done."
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?