Updated May 23, 2013 - 11:52 am
Report: Coyotes nearing new contract for GM Don Maloney
One of them is the contract status of general manager Don Maloney, because his was set to expire at the end of June.
But according to a report by FoxSportsArizona.com's Craig Morgan, a deal is nearing for the sides to remain together.
Multiple sources have confirmed that the NHL and team are finalizing a new contract for general manager Don Maloney. The terms of the deal are not yet known, nor is a timeline for an announcement.
Maloney's contract was set to expire on June 30, and it was originally thought that he would not receive a new deal until the franchise's current owner, the NHL, had found a new owner. But the league, recognizing the importance of having a general manager for the upcoming NHL Draft, free agency and myriad other reasons, took care of one very important order of business.
Maloney has been with the Coyotes since May 2007, and has helped oversee a turnaround that has seen the franchise post the three highest point totals in franchise history as well as multiple trips to the postseason -- including a run to the Western Conference Finals in 2012. Given that he's done so on a league-mandated budget, and it stands to reason Maloney would have had a fair share of suitors should he have reached the open market.
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Coyotes poised to hit the reset button after losing identity
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.