Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 10:03 pm
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes drop final home game to Avalanche
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 5-4 shootout loss to the Avalanche on April 26.
When it came to drawing blood early, the Coyotes were all over it. After just 8:45 in the first period, they were up 2-0.
Coyotes forward Rob Klinkhammer furthered his case for the Coyotes to re-sign him next season. Not only does he have one of the best names in hockey, but he is 5-6-11 in 21 games this season.
Well, at least the game started on a good note. Despite taking a 2-0 lead early, the Coyotes let the Avalanche back in the game by the end of the first period thanks to some sloppy play and goaltending. Colorado led 3-2 after just 20 minutes.
The Coyote shootout was...bad. Mikkel Boedker at least had a shot, but Radim Vrbata tried too hard and the puck rolled away. Mike Smith did not make a save in the shootout.
Antoine Vermette's goal in the first period was the first by a Coyotes forward since Radim Vrbata's against Chicago on April 20. Vermette scored two on the night.
Defenseman Keith Yandle had three assists, tying a career-high. He leads the Coyotes with six multi-point games this year.
Paul Bissonnette, normally known for his fighting skills rather than scoring, posted one assist on Friday, tying a career-high five points in one season.
The Coyotes will play their final game of the season on Saturday against the Ducks in Anaheim. Faceoff is set for 7 p.m.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!