'Yotes Notes: Coyotes shut out by Red Wings
The Phoenix Coyotes saw their already slim playoff hopes fade further in a 4-0 shutout loss to the Detroit Red Wings.
The Coyotes remain in 11th place in the Western Conference with 46 points, five points behind eighth place Columbus.
With three games left, the 'Yotes can only get 52 points. The Blue Jackets can put the nail in the Coyotes' coffin with a win, to push them to 53 points.
The Coyotes certainly had their chances against the Red Wings, outshooting the Wings by a 34-23 margin. Phoenix also outshot Detroit 12-4 in the first period, but still trailed by two at the intermission.
Ultimately, the Coyotes had no answer for Wings netminder Jimmy Howard, who notched his fourth shutout of the season and 15th of his career.
The Coyotes surrendered three goals on the power play, and failed to net a goal in their four chances with the man advantage.
Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith made just 19 saves on the night. Before Monday's loss, Smith had amassed a .917 save percentage and 2.54 GAA against Detroit.
The Coyotes were shut out for the ninth time this season, and seventh time on the road. The 'Yotes have also dropped four of their last five games.
Defenseman Keith Yandle played in his 300th consecutive game against the Red Wings.
The Coyotes have been in the postseason the past three seasons.
The Coyotes will return home to host San Jose at Jobing.com Arena on Wednesday, April 24. The puck is set to drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.