'Yotes Notes: Coyotes shut out by Red Wings
The Phoenix Coyotes saw their already slim playoff hopes fade further in a 4-0 shutout loss to the Detroit Red Wings.
The Coyotes remain in 11th place in the Western Conference with 46 points, five points behind eighth place Columbus.
With three games left, the 'Yotes can only get 52 points. The Blue Jackets can put the nail in the Coyotes' coffin with a win, to push them to 53 points.
The Coyotes certainly had their chances against the Red Wings, outshooting the Wings by a 34-23 margin. Phoenix also outshot Detroit 12-4 in the first period, but still trailed by two at the intermission.
Ultimately, the Coyotes had no answer for Wings netminder Jimmy Howard, who notched his fourth shutout of the season and 15th of his career.
The Coyotes surrendered three goals on the power play, and failed to net a goal in their four chances with the man advantage.
Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith made just 19 saves on the night. Before Monday's loss, Smith had amassed a .917 save percentage and 2.54 GAA against Detroit.
The Coyotes were shut out for the ninth time this season, and seventh time on the road. The 'Yotes have also dropped four of their last five games.
Defenseman Keith Yandle played in his 300th consecutive game against the Red Wings.
The Coyotes have been in the postseason the past three seasons.
The Coyotes will return home to host San Jose at Jobing.com Arena on Wednesday, April 24. The puck is set to drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?