'Yotes Notes: Coyotes shut out by Red Wings
The Phoenix Coyotes saw their already slim playoff hopes fade further in a 4-0 shutout loss to the Detroit Red Wings.
The Coyotes remain in 11th place in the Western Conference with 46 points, five points behind eighth place Columbus.
With three games left, the 'Yotes can only get 52 points. The Blue Jackets can put the nail in the Coyotes' coffin with a win, to push them to 53 points.
The Coyotes certainly had their chances against the Red Wings, outshooting the Wings by a 34-23 margin. Phoenix also outshot Detroit 12-4 in the first period, but still trailed by two at the intermission.
Ultimately, the Coyotes had no answer for Wings netminder Jimmy Howard, who notched his fourth shutout of the season and 15th of his career.
The Coyotes surrendered three goals on the power play, and failed to net a goal in their four chances with the man advantage.
Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith made just 19 saves on the night. Before Monday's loss, Smith had amassed a .917 save percentage and 2.54 GAA against Detroit.
The Coyotes were shut out for the ninth time this season, and seventh time on the road. The 'Yotes have also dropped four of their last five games.
Defenseman Keith Yandle played in his 300th consecutive game against the Red Wings.
The Coyotes have been in the postseason the past three seasons.
The Coyotes will return home to host San Jose at Jobing.com Arena on Wednesday, April 24. The puck is set to drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.