Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 3:16 pm
Dave Tippett: Goalie Chad Johnson is our guy right now
While the loss wasn't what he wanted, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett was impressed with goaltender Chad Johnson's play in place of the injured Mike Smith.
"He was very solid," Tippett told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo. "He's played four games for us now and our team has played solid in front of him. He just looks composed. He doesn't do anything really flashy."
In two April starts, Johnson has saved 63 of the 66 shots he's faced for a sterling .955 save percentage.
Tippett said with Smith out, Johnson will continue to get the nod as long as he continues to perform like he did Thursday.
"We'll probably put him in there again tomorrow night," Tippett said referring their matchup with the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday night.
Smith, who is out with a lower body injury, practiced Friday but is still not 100 percent according to Tippett.
When he becomes healthy, the coach may have a tough decision if Johnson keeps playing with the hot glove.
"We'll cross that bridge when it comes," Tippett said. "The reality is we need 10 points in these five games, so whoever gives us a better chance to win, that's what we're going to do."
The Coyotes are five points out of the final playoff spot, and Tippett says winning out is key in order to make the playoffs.
"You're going to have to have a little bit of help," Tippett said. "But the reality is if you don't take care of yourself, than the help doesn't matter."
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?