'Yotes Notes: Coyotes fall to Blues in shootout
The Phoenix Coyotes lost to the St. Louis Blues 2-1 in a shootout on Thursday night.
The Coyotes did gain a point in the defeat, but there playoff hopes appear to be slim. The 'Yotes are in 11th place in the Western Conference with 44 points. They trail Detroit and Dallas by three points and Columbus by five points.
Coyotes netminder Chad Johnson was solid in goal, making 29 saves on 30 shots.
Radim Vrbata tied the game 1-1 on a power play goal with 1:07 left in regulation. Vrbata snapped a seven-game scoreless streak with his late game tally.
The Coyotes' offensive struggles continued against the Blues. Before Vrbata's third period goal, the Coyotes hadn't scored since late in the game last Friday in Calgary. Phoenix was shutout by San Jose 4-0 on Monday night.
Blues goaltender Brian Elliott made 33 saves on the night, including all three of the Coyotes' attempts in the shootout.
The Coyotes have scored just five goals in their last five games.
The Blues swept the season series from the Coyotes 3-0.
The Coyotes will head to Chicago to take on the Blackhawks on Saturday, April 20. The game is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.