'Yotes Notes: Coyotes fall to Blues in shootout
The Phoenix Coyotes lost to the St. Louis Blues 2-1 in a shootout on Thursday night.
The Coyotes did gain a point in the defeat, but there playoff hopes appear to be slim. The 'Yotes are in 11th place in the Western Conference with 44 points. They trail Detroit and Dallas by three points and Columbus by five points.
Coyotes netminder Chad Johnson was solid in goal, making 29 saves on 30 shots.
Radim Vrbata tied the game 1-1 on a power play goal with 1:07 left in regulation. Vrbata snapped a seven-game scoreless streak with his late game tally.
The Coyotes' offensive struggles continued against the Blues. Before Vrbata's third period goal, the Coyotes hadn't scored since late in the game last Friday in Calgary. Phoenix was shutout by San Jose 4-0 on Monday night.
Blues goaltender Brian Elliott made 33 saves on the night, including all three of the Coyotes' attempts in the shootout.
The Coyotes have scored just five goals in their last five games.
The Blues swept the season series from the Coyotes 3-0.
The Coyotes will head to Chicago to take on the Blackhawks on Saturday, April 20. The game is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!