'Yotes Notes: Coyotes fall to Blues in shootout
The Phoenix Coyotes lost to the St. Louis Blues 2-1 in a shootout on Thursday night.
The Coyotes did gain a point in the defeat, but there playoff hopes appear to be slim. The 'Yotes are in 11th place in the Western Conference with 44 points. They trail Detroit and Dallas by three points and Columbus by five points.
Coyotes netminder Chad Johnson was solid in goal, making 29 saves on 30 shots.
Radim Vrbata tied the game 1-1 on a power play goal with 1:07 left in regulation. Vrbata snapped a seven-game scoreless streak with his late game tally.
The Coyotes' offensive struggles continued against the Blues. Before Vrbata's third period goal, the Coyotes hadn't scored since late in the game last Friday in Calgary. Phoenix was shutout by San Jose 4-0 on Monday night.
Blues goaltender Brian Elliott made 33 saves on the night, including all three of the Coyotes' attempts in the shootout.
The Coyotes have scored just five goals in their last five games.
The Blues swept the season series from the Coyotes 3-0.
The Coyotes will head to Chicago to take on the Blackhawks on Saturday, April 20. The game is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?