'Yotes Notes: Coyotes keep playoff hopes alive with road win in Edmonton
Mike Smith was strong between the pipes once again for the Coyotes, making 29 saves in goal to help Phoenix secure a 3-1 win over the Oilers on on April 10.
With the victory, the Coyotes moved up two spots and into ninth place in the Western Conference standings with eight games left to play. They trail the Detroit Red Wings, who had the night off, by one point for the eighth and final playoff spot.
Smith has been rock solid in net for the Coyotes of late. He stopped 29 of 30 shots on Wednesday, and a remarkable 93 of 95 since his return from injury.
David Moss and Boyd Gordon each notched a goal and assist for the Coyotes, with Antoine Vermette adding a tally of his own to help pace the Coyotes' offense.
Gordon was once again a strong presence on the ice for the Coyotes. He has now scored four goals and two assists in the past eight games. The 'Yotes' center also had a team-high six shots and continued his impressive work in the face-off circle, winning 12 of 19 face-offs in the contest.
Moss' power-play goal with just nine seconds left sealed the win for the Coyotes.
The Coyotes entered the game with a 14.8 power play percentage, which ranked 23rd in the league. The 'Yotes went just 1-for-5 on the power play on Wednesday.
The Coyotes salvaged a win in their final meeting of the season with the Oilers. Edmonton had won the previous two.
'Yotes defenseman Zbynek Michalek returned to action for the first time since suffering a lower-body injury. Michalek was sidelined for 14 games with the ailment.
The Coyotes improved to 5-1-2 in their past eight contests.
The Coyotes will head to Calgary to take on the Flames on Friday, April 12. The puck is set to drop at 6:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.