Updated Apr 6, 2013 - 9:57 pm
'Yotes Notes: Smith records fifth shutout as Coyotes beat Avs
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 4-0 win over Avalanche on April 6.
Mike Smith looked sharp in net for the Coyotes in his return to the ice. The 'Yotes netminder stopped 24 shots en route to his fifth shutout of the season -- and 24th of his career. Smith had been out of action since March 21 when he suffered an upper body injury against Vancouver.
Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan each scored a goal and tallied an assist for the Coyotes. Mikkel Boedker and Boyd Gordon also lit the lamp for Phoenix, while Oliver Ekman-Larsson added two assists on the night.
With the win, the Coyotes moved ahead of Columbus and Edmonton and into ninth place in the Western Conference standings. Phoenix now trails St. Louis by two points for the final playoff spot.
The Coyotes are still not fully healthy, despite the return of their starting goaltender. The team is still without defenseman Zbynek Michalek and winger Lauri Korpikoski, who have been sidelined with injuries. The locker room has also been battling the flu bug, with Korpikoski, Keith Yandle and David Schlemko getting a touch of it.
The Coyotes have now won three straight games and finished their homestand unbeaten.
Four players registered four points for the Coyotes in the win.
The Coyotes will head to Vancouver to take on the Canucks on Monday, April 8. The puck is set to drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.