Updated Apr 6, 2013 - 9:57 pm
'Yotes Notes: Smith records fifth shutout as Coyotes beat Avs
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 4-0 win over Avalanche on April 6.
Mike Smith looked sharp in net for the Coyotes in his return to the ice. The 'Yotes netminder stopped 24 shots en route to his fifth shutout of the season -- and 24th of his career. Smith had been out of action since March 21 when he suffered an upper body injury against Vancouver.
Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan each scored a goal and tallied an assist for the Coyotes. Mikkel Boedker and Boyd Gordon also lit the lamp for Phoenix, while Oliver Ekman-Larsson added two assists on the night.
With the win, the Coyotes moved ahead of Columbus and Edmonton and into ninth place in the Western Conference standings. Phoenix now trails St. Louis by two points for the final playoff spot.
The Coyotes are still not fully healthy, despite the return of their starting goaltender. The team is still without defenseman Zbynek Michalek and winger Lauri Korpikoski, who have been sidelined with injuries. The locker room has also been battling the flu bug, with Korpikoski, Keith Yandle and David Schlemko getting a touch of it.
The Coyotes have now won three straight games and finished their homestand unbeaten.
Four players registered four points for the Coyotes in the win.
The Coyotes will head to Vancouver to take on the Canucks on Monday, April 8. The puck is set to drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?