'Yotes Notes: Youth leads Coyotes to win over Red Wings
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 4-2 win over the Red Wings on April 4.
The Coyotes fell behind early, but came back with three unanswered goals. Two players who began the season in the AHL, Michael Stone and Chris Conner, scored two of them.
Coyotes goalie Chad Johnson, who also began the season in the AHL, put together a solid game in net. Coming in for Jason LaBarbera, who hasn't exactly been shoddy himself, Johnson put together a 34-save game.
The Coyotes won their second straight game and have taken eight points of a possible 10 from their last five games.
The Coyotes surrendered the early goal against the Red Wings, which is never a good thing. Rob Klinkhammer was given a two minute penalty on a weak holding call and Valtteri Filppula made the Coyotes pay.
Defenseman David Schlemko left the game in the first period. The Coyotes said he has an unspecified ailment and is being evaluated.
Newcomer Chris Conner scored in his debut as a Coyote on beautiful setup from Mikkel Boedker.
The Coyotes had 20 shots in the second period, the most they've had since Feb. 14, 2009.
Shane Doan now leads the Coyotes with 12 goals on the season.
The Coyotes will play the final game of a three-game homestand on Saturday. They take on the Colorado Avalanche at 6 p.m.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Coyotes CEO: Dave Tippett 'a scientist when it comes to the sport'
- 2013-14 playoff berth for Coyotes ‘incredibly important' to franchise turnaround
- 'Yotes Notes: Rough 3rd period buries Phoenix Coyotes in Montreal
- Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan opens up about illness, timetable for return unknown
- 'Yotes Notes: Loose puck battle proves to be the difference, as Phoenix falls to Carolina
- Anthony LeBlanc, Coyotes President and CEO - Wednesday December 18Anthony LeBlanc, Coyotes President and CEO talks about the teams season so far.
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.