'Yotes Notes: Youth leads Coyotes to win over Red Wings
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 4-2 win over the Red Wings on April 4.
The Coyotes fell behind early, but came back with three unanswered goals. Two players who began the season in the AHL, Michael Stone and Chris Conner, scored two of them.
Coyotes goalie Chad Johnson, who also began the season in the AHL, put together a solid game in net. Coming in for Jason LaBarbera, who hasn't exactly been shoddy himself, Johnson put together a 34-save game.
The Coyotes won their second straight game and have taken eight points of a possible 10 from their last five games.
The Coyotes surrendered the early goal against the Red Wings, which is never a good thing. Rob Klinkhammer was given a two minute penalty on a weak holding call and Valtteri Filppula made the Coyotes pay.
Defenseman David Schlemko left the game in the first period. The Coyotes said he has an unspecified ailment and is being evaluated.
Newcomer Chris Conner scored in his debut as a Coyote on beautiful setup from Mikkel Boedker.
The Coyotes had 20 shots in the second period, the most they've had since Feb. 14, 2009.
Shane Doan now leads the Coyotes with 12 goals on the season.
The Coyotes will play the final game of a three-game homestand on Saturday. They take on the Colorado Avalanche at 6 p.m.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.