'Yotes Notes: Yandle, Coyotes knock off LA Kings
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 3-1 win over the Kings on April 2.
The Coyotes opened the scoring for the third consecutive game.
Matthew Lombardi earned his keep with his goal. He received a beauty of a pass from Rob Klinkhammer and slipped it past Jonathan Quick. It hit both posts on the way in.
Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle scored two goals on the night.
Coyotes goaltender Jason LaBarbera made 39 saves. He only gave up one goal and it was a deflection.
Let's just call the Kings' first goal ugly and leave it at that. Justin Williams threw it at the net from the corner, it took a bad bounce off of a Coyote and the game was tied.
Klinkhammer tallied an assist against LA. He is currently riding a career-high five-game point streak. He is also tied with Radim Vrbata for the Coyotes' longest point streak of the season.
Yandle scored his 50th career goal in the first period to give the Coyotes a 1-0 lead.
The Coyotes played their fifth and final game of the regular season against the Kings on Tuesday. Overall, LA won the series 3-2.
Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett notched his 150th win with the franchise.
The Coyotes will play the second game of a three-game homestand on Thursday. They take on the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.