Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 4:00 pm
Coyotes look to Jason LaBarbera to snap skid
The injury to Smith occurred when he was charged and hit in the head behind the net by the Canucks' Alex Edler in the second period. Earlier in the game, Smith also had a collision with Daniel Sedin.
Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said this is a chance for LaBarbera to step up in an important situation.
"He's (LaBarbera) looked very good in practice the last little bit and the games he's been in here lately, he's looked solid. We need him to play very well," said Tippett after morning skate. "That's your number two's role of the team. He's waited patiently for his time to play and this is it. It's very big games for us so I'm sure he's excited to play."
Tippett also said Smith is still day-to-day and has not participated much since Thursday.
The Coyotes recalled goalie Chad Johnson from the Portland Pirates of the AHL on Saturday. He made two starts for the ‘Yotes this season and recorded his first NHL shutout on January 28th against Nashville, where he recorded 21 saves. He'll serve as LaBarbera's backup for the game Monday night.
After Monday's game, the Coyotes hit the road for an important week with three games in four nights against Minnesota, Nashville and San Jose.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Coyotes poised to hit the reset button after losing identity
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.