Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 6:07 pm
Vancouver's Alexander Edler suspended two games for hit on Coyotes' Mike Smith
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alexander Edler was suspended two games Friday for his hit on Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith.
In the second period of Thursday's game, Edler was chasing the puck while on the power play when Smith moved out to play it. The two collided and Edler received a five-minute major penalty for roughing.
"I saw a guy just run him over," said Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett of the hit. "He just kept going right through him."
A short scrum followed, in which Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was called for a two-minute roughing penalty.
Smith completed the period, but did not return to the ice for the remainder of the game.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault said he didn't necessarily agree with the call because Smith plays the puck on a frequent basis.
"[Edler] was just going behind the net to try to play [Smith's] stick and the goaltender turned around and tried to shoot it so I'm not sure what he's supposed to do there." Edler faced a maximum suspension of five games.
This isn't the first time Smith has been injured behind the net as a Coyote. Last season, during the playoffs, Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was suspended three games after he hit Smith while the netminder was playing the puck.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.