'Yotes Notes: Coyotes fall to Blue Jackets in shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 1-0 shootout loss to the Blue Jackets on March 16.
Despite getting upstaged by one of the hottest goaltenders in the league, Sergei Bobrovsky, Mike Smith was impressive in goal for the Coyotes. He made 23 saves and nabbed his fourth shutout of the season in a hard luck loss. Smith is second in the league in shutouts behind Pekka Rinne of Nashville, who has five.
The Coyotes had no answer for Bobrovsky -- who was brilliant in net once again for the Blue Jackets. He stopped both Mikkel Boedker and Steve Sullivan in the shootout. "Bob" made 39 saves and another two in the shootout to notch his second career NHL shutout. Both of his shutouts have come in the last week.
The 'Yotes have now lost four of their last six contests.
The Blue Jackets took part in their fourth consecutive shootout.
Columbus extended its franchise-best point streak to 10 games.
The Coyotes have been held scoreless in the first two games of their four-game road trip.
The Coyotes head to Los Angeles to face the defending Stanley Cup champion Kings in back-to-back road contests. The first of two takes place on Monday, March 18 at 7:30 p.m.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.