'Yotes Notes: Coyotes fall to Blue Jackets in shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 1-0 shootout loss to the Blue Jackets on March 16.
Despite getting upstaged by one of the hottest goaltenders in the league, Sergei Bobrovsky, Mike Smith was impressive in goal for the Coyotes. He made 23 saves and nabbed his fourth shutout of the season in a hard luck loss. Smith is second in the league in shutouts behind Pekka Rinne of Nashville, who has five.
The Coyotes had no answer for Bobrovsky -- who was brilliant in net once again for the Blue Jackets. He stopped both Mikkel Boedker and Steve Sullivan in the shootout. "Bob" made 39 saves and another two in the shootout to notch his second career NHL shutout. Both of his shutouts have come in the last week.
The 'Yotes have now lost four of their last six contests.
The Blue Jackets took part in their fourth consecutive shootout.
Columbus extended its franchise-best point streak to 10 games.
The Coyotes have been held scoreless in the first two games of their four-game road trip.
The Coyotes head to Los Angeles to face the defending Stanley Cup champion Kings in back-to-back road contests. The first of two takes place on Monday, March 18 at 7:30 p.m.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?