'Yotes Notes: Coyotes edge Stars at Jobing.com Arena
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 2-1 win over the Stars on March 9.
The Coyotes resembled last season's gritty group in their win over Dallas. They played well in their own zone, blocking 29 shots on the night. Dave Tippett's squad also generated the majority of scoring chances early, and were able to draw first blood. Phoenix improved to 7-1-1 when scoring first this season.
Center Rob Klinkhammer notched the first goal of his NHL career, which proved to be the game-winner for the Coyotes. The youngster, who was re-called from the AHL on Friday, was also quite physical in the contest. Prior to Saturday's game, Klinkhammer had 16 games of experience at the NHL level.
Captain Shane Doan scored his team-leading eighth goal of the season. He has totaled 31 goals and 37 assists in 97 games against the Stars in his career.
Goaltender Mike Smith bounced back from a few rocky starts, stopping 20 shots on the night. He looked solid with the help of a strong defensive effort in front of him. Smith had allowed 14 goals in his last three games.
The Coyotes allowed three Stars power plays, including a 5-on-3 in the second period that resulted in Jaromir Jagr's 10th goal of the season.
Phoenix snapped a two-game losing streak and moved into third place in the Pacific Division with the win.
Martin Hanzal delivered a controversial hit on Stars' center Jamie Benn. Benn left the game and did not return, but no penalty was called on the play.
Radim Vrbada missed his 10th straight game with a lower body injury. Matthew Lombardi was also out due to an upper body injury.
The Coyotes held the Stars to a mere four shots in the third period of play.
The Coyotes will host the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday, March 12 at Jobing.com Arena. The game is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Thursday November 21Barry Melrose says Mike Smith is the most exciting goalie in the NHL.
- Shane Doan, Coyotes Captain - Wednesday November 20Shane Doan talks about his hot offensive start.