Updated Mar 7, 2013 - 3:14 pm
ESPN NHL analyst: Coyotes will go as far as Mike Smith takes them
Those are the words of ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose when asked about the Phoenix Coyotes, and the guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo said the possibility is there for the team to replicate the success it had last postseason again this time around.
Assuming, of course, the Coyotes make it back to the playoffs.
Currently the seventh seed in the Western Conference, the Coyotes find themselves in a group of 10 teams all within five points of each other. Every day seems to bring a significant change in playoff positioning, regardless of whether or not the Coyotes actually play.
But regardless of the team's tenuous position, Melrose sees the same traits in this year's club that made last year's so effective.
"I think it's a good team, it's a solid team, it's good defensively," he said. "A typical Dave Tippett team."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Ice Bites: Where would the Coyotes host an outdoor NHL game?
- Report: Phoenix Coyotes ready to host outdoor game
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.