ESPN NHL analyst: Coyotes will go as far as Mike Smith takes them
Those are the words of ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose when asked about the Phoenix Coyotes, and the guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo said the possibility is there for the team to replicate the success it had last postseason again this time around.
Assuming, of course, the Coyotes make it back to the playoffs.
Currently the seventh seed in the Western Conference, the Coyotes find themselves in a group of 10 teams all within five points of each other. Every day seems to bring a significant change in playoff positioning, regardless of whether or not the Coyotes actually play.
But regardless of the team's tenuous position, Melrose sees the same traits in this year's club that made last year's so effective.
"I think it's a good team, it's a solid team, it's good defensively," he said. "A typical Dave Tippett team."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i