Updated Mar 7, 2013 - 3:14 pm
ESPN NHL analyst: Coyotes will go as far as Mike Smith takes them
Those are the words of ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose when asked about the Phoenix Coyotes, and the guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo said the possibility is there for the team to replicate the success it had last postseason again this time around.
Assuming, of course, the Coyotes make it back to the playoffs.
Currently the seventh seed in the Western Conference, the Coyotes find themselves in a group of 10 teams all within five points of each other. Every day seems to bring a significant change in playoff positioning, regardless of whether or not the Coyotes actually play.
But regardless of the team's tenuous position, Melrose sees the same traits in this year's club that made last year's so effective.
"I think it's a good team, it's a solid team, it's good defensively," he said. "A typical Dave Tippett team."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?