Updated Mar 6, 2013 - 11:38 pm
'Yotes Notes: Ducks blank Coyotes in finale of three-game divisional series
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 2-0 loss to the Ducks on March 6.
Jason LaBarbera made his first start since January 26 and looked very sharp between the pipes. The Coyotes netminder made 23 saves on 24 shots, including a big stop on Andrew Cogliano's second period penalty shot.
The Coyotes were not extremely careful with the puck (eight giveaways) Wednesday night but rarely allowed the Ducks to get terrific looks at the offensive end. On the night, Phoenix committed just one penalty.
The Coyotes found ways to win over the weekend despite not playing Dave Tippett-style hockey. In Anaheim, Phoenix got back to a more physical, gritty brand of hockey and yet left with its only loss in the three-game divisional series.
Two nights after scoring four regulation goals on Jonas Hiller, the Coyotes struggled to even test the Swiss goaltender. Phoenix only put 18 shots on goal, with several coming from just under the blue line.
Of the Coyotes' 18 shots, eight came from defensemen.
Phoenix was also 0-of-3 on the power play.
Wednesday's loss marked the second time the Coyotes were shut out in 2013.
In 10 road games, Phoenix is an underwhelming 3-5-2.
The Coyotes have also been underwhelming at the Honda Center of late, losing three straight dating back to the 2011-12 season.
Jonas Hiller's shutout was the 16th of his career.
The Coyotes host the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night at Jobing.com Arena. The puck will drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Coyotes poised to hit the reset button after losing identity
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.