Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 10:15 pm
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes drop Ducks in second shootout winner
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 5-4 shootout win over the Ducks on March 4.
The Coyotes never said die on Monday. They fell behind on multiple occasions, but twice answered within one minute to tie the game.
It seemed as if every Phoenix goal was significant to someone's career tallies on Monday. Check the Notes section for more on that.
Mike Smith was excellent in the shootout, only allowing one goal against some of the top talent in the NHL.
Martin Hanzal returned to the team from the injured reserve list on Monday. He had a game-high seven shots, though he did not register a point.
The Coyotes had several opportunities to put the game away and, frankly, the choked. They allowed the Ducks to get a short-handed goal with just :07 left in the second period and, going into the third, quickly gave up a penalty and the Ducks scored again. That two-goal swing gave the Ducks their second lead of the game.
Eight goals in two games is not the norm for the Coyotes. They'll have to keep a cap on that Wednesday when they wrap up the series with Anaheim.
Coyotes captain Shane Doan recorded his 800th career point.
Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle tallied his 200th career point.
Coyotes forward Antoine Vermette tallied his 150th career goal.
Coyotes forward Chris Brown made his NHL debut Monday. He is only the fifth native Texan to appear in the league.
The Coyotes play the final game of this three-game set with the Ducks on Wednesday night at the Honda Center in Anaheim. The puck will drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.