Updated Mar 2, 2013 - 9:27 pm
'Yotes Notes: Phoenix gets by division-leading Anaheim in shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 5-4 shootout win over the Ducks on March 2.
The Coyotes took advantage of a tired Anaheim Ducks team, winning 5-4 in a shootout on Saturday at Jobing.com Arena.
After allowing an early goal to the Ducks (just :21 into the game), the 'Yotes rebounded with a nice goal by Matthew Lombardi midway through the period. Lauri Korpikoski scored his first of the night in the second period and his second goal in the third. But it was Steve Sullivan's tally late in the third period that tied the contest and forced overtime.
Goalie Mike Smith was phenomenal, saving 31 of the 35 shots he faced.
Phoenix is still dealing with some notable injuries. Martin Hanzal, Radim Vrbata were both placed on the injured reserve list on Friday. Defenseman David Schlemko is still on IR with a lower body injury.
He Said It:
"I just think they were a little tired because they played last night," said Lauri Korpikoski. "We came at them in the third and found a way to get goals."
Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker had back-to-back two-point performances heading into Saturday's game. He recorded an assist against the Ducks and has put up seven points in the last six games.
Shane Doan recorded career point No. 799 with an assist on Lombardi's first period goal.
The Coyotes play game two of this three-game set with Anaheim on Monday night at Jobing.com Arena. The puck will drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Thursday November 21Barry Melrose says Mike Smith is the most exciting goalie in the NHL.
- Shane Doan, Coyotes Captain - Wednesday November 20Shane Doan talks about his hot offensive start.