'Yotes Notes: Coyotes blow two goal lead, fall to Oilers in shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 3-2 loss in a shootout to the Oilers on February 23.
Mike Smith was brilliant in net for the Coyotes, stopping 41-of-43 Oilers shots on Saturday afternoon. Smith looked particularly sharp in overtime when the Coyotes were on the penalty kill after Lauri Korpikoski was charged with hooking.
Kyle Chipchura and Matthew Lombardi both notched goals for Phoenix in regulation, with Lombardi's first tally of the season coming on the power play. The goal ended a 1-for-23 power play dry spell.
The Coyotes held a two goal lead in the second period but weren't able to hang on against an Oilers team that kept the pressure coming.
Smith, who put on a show in goal all game long, couldn't stop either shot he faced in the shootout.
The defense hung Smith out to dry, as the Oilers outshot the Coyotes 43-to-36.
Phoenix had trouble containing Edmonton's third line unit of Ryan Jones, Eric Belanger and Ben Eager. The trio registered six scoring chances in the contest.
Despite Lombardi's power play goal, Phoenix still only managed to go 1-for-7 with the man advantage.
• The Coyotes saw their two-game winning streak come to an end against the Oilers.
• Phoenix was without forwards Radim Vrbata and Martin Hanzal along with defenseman Derek Morris. All three were sidelined with injuries.
• Before Saturday's loss, the Coyotes had won five consecutive games in Edmonton.
The Coyotes will take on the Calgary Flames on Sunday. The game is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i