'Yotes Notes: Smith, Coyotes defeat Sharks in a shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 1-0 shootout win over the Sharks on February 9.
Mike Smith was sharp in goal for the Coyotes, making 33 saves and another two stops in a shootout win against the Sharks on Saturday. He recorded his second shutout of the season and improved to 14-19 in shootouts. Smith also now has 21 shutouts for his career.
Mikkel Boedker and Radium Vrbata both lit the lamp in the shootout, sending the Coyotes to a 1-0 win over their divisional foe.
The Coyotes blocked 22 shots with defenseman Zbynek Michalek adding eight of his own. Michalek has a team-high 36 blocked shots on the season for Phoenix.
The Coyotes struggles on the power play continued against the Sharks. They went 0-for-3 on the day with the man advantage. For the season, the Coyotes have scored just four power play goals in 26 opportunities.
Dave Tippett coached his 750th career NHL game in Saturday's win over San Jose.
Smith shut out the Sharks three times last season and now boasts a career 6-3-1 record against them.
The Coyotes will head to Colorado to play the Avalanche on Monday, February 11. The game is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tippett: Outdoor game in Phoenix would be 'great for our city'
- Coyotes coach Tippett: Backup G Thomas Greiss has 'earned the confidence of his teammates'
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Ice Bites: Where would the Coyotes host an outdoor NHL game?
- Report: Phoenix Coyotes ready to host outdoor game
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?