'Yotes Notes: Smith, Coyotes defeat Sharks in a shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 1-0 shootout win over the Sharks on February 9.
Mike Smith was sharp in goal for the Coyotes, making 33 saves and another two stops in a shootout win against the Sharks on Saturday. He recorded his second shutout of the season and improved to 14-19 in shootouts. Smith also now has 21 shutouts for his career.
Mikkel Boedker and Radium Vrbata both lit the lamp in the shootout, sending the Coyotes to a 1-0 win over their divisional foe.
The Coyotes blocked 22 shots with defenseman Zbynek Michalek adding eight of his own. Michalek has a team-high 36 blocked shots on the season for Phoenix.
The Coyotes struggles on the power play continued against the Sharks. They went 0-for-3 on the day with the man advantage. For the season, the Coyotes have scored just four power play goals in 26 opportunities.
• Dave Tippett coached his 750th career NHL game in Saturday's win over San Jose.
• Smith shut out the Sharks three times last season and now boasts a career 6-3-1 record against them.
The Coyotes will head to Colorado to play the Avalanche on Monday, February 11. The game is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!