Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 11:57 pm
'Yotes Notes: Phoenix embarrassed on home ice by the Blackhawks
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 6-2 loss to the Blackhawks on February 7.
I had to really think about this one. Only positive might be that after allowing four first period goals, the Coyotes allowed just two in the second period and zero in the final frame. Jason LaBarbera came in for Mike Smith in the second period and allowed zero goals in nearly 25 minutes of play.
Almost everything about this game in regards to the Coyotes was bad. They were outhustled, outshot, out everything right from the drop of the puck.
The Coyote had 12 penalties on the night totalling 35 minutes, including 12 minutes of penalties from defenseman Keith Yandle in the first period alone. Those penalties in the first frame gave Chicago two 5-on-3 opportunities.
Phoenix also recorded just four shots in the first period.
• Raffi Torres didn't waste any time sorting out what was left over from last year's hit on Marian Hossa in Game 3 of the Western Conference quarterfinals and his ensuing 21-game suspension. On his very first shift of the night, Torres was called out by Chicago veteran Jamal Mayers in front of Chicago's bench. Both players dropped their gloves, fought briefly and then went to the box for five minutes.
• During pre-game announcements, the Chicago fans booed Torres loudly. The attendance was 15,096 and it seemed like mostly Chicago fans.
He Said It:
Head coach Dave Tippett on the blowout loss:
"This is a good slap in the face right there. We just went out there and we just got kicked. If we don't recognize that than we got bigger problems than I think we got."
Tippett on the stupid penalties by his leaders:
"Yapping, hooking, holding. The hooking and holding your getting beat. Yapping...Doan took a yapping penalty, Yandle took two yapping penalties. They're supposed to be our captains. That speaks for itself. That's about all I got to say."
Coyotes hit the road for three straight games away from home against the Sharks, Avalanche and Predators starting Saturday the 9th.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.