'Yotes Notes: Coyotes win second straight, beat Minnesota
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 2-1 win over the Wild on February 4.
Behind goals from Lauri Korpikoski and Martin Hanzal, the Coyotes earn at least a point for a fifth straight game. The goals were the fourth of the season for both players, and for Hanzal; it extended his point streak to three games.
Defenseman David Schlemko suffered an upper-body injury in the first period and did not return. He was seen following the game with his right arm in a sling.
"It's not something that's day-to-day," head coach Dave Tippett said. "I would put him week-to-week. It's a significant injury."
He Said It:
"Coyote Ugly, like we said last year in the playoffs," Mike Smith said after making 21 saves. "It's the way we want to play. It's the way we have to play to win hockey games. It's not the prettiest but we give ourselves chances to win a lot of hockey games and that's all you can ask for."
• Smith wins his second straight game, sees his shutout streak end at 121:06.
• Steve Sullivan (lower body injury) returned after missing three straight games.
• Minnesota's Zach Parise's second period goal was the 200th of his career.
The Coyotes (4-4-2, 10 pts) finish the homestand with a game against the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday, February 7.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i