'Yotes Notes: Coyotes win second straight, beat Minnesota
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 2-1 win over the Wild on February 4.
Behind goals from Lauri Korpikoski and Martin Hanzal, the Coyotes earn at least a point for a fifth straight game. The goals were the fourth of the season for both players, and for Hanzal; it extended his point streak to three games.
Defenseman David Schlemko suffered an upper-body injury in the first period and did not return. He was seen following the game with his right arm in a sling.
"It's not something that's day-to-day," head coach Dave Tippett said. "I would put him week-to-week. It's a significant injury."
He Said It:
"Coyote Ugly, like we said last year in the playoffs," Mike Smith said after making 21 saves. "It's the way we want to play. It's the way we have to play to win hockey games. It's not the prettiest but we give ourselves chances to win a lot of hockey games and that's all you can ask for."
Smith wins his second straight game, sees his shutout streak end at 121:06.
Steve Sullivan (lower body injury) returned after missing three straight games.
Minnesota's Zach Parise's second period goal was the 200th of his career.
The Coyotes (4-4-2, 10 pts) finish the homestand with a game against the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday, February 7.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.