Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 11:42 pm
'Yotes Notes: Sullivan hat trick leads Coyotes to first win of the season
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 5-1 win over the Blue Jackets on January 23.
The Coyotes finally got in the win column with a 5-1 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets Wednesday night at Jobing.com Arena. They got some scoring from newcomer Steve Sullivan, he recorded a hat trick with three goals on the night. Oliver Ekman-Larsson also got in on the action with two goals and an assist. The 'Yotes are now 1-2 on the season.
The 'Yotes lost goalie Mike Smith in the first period to a lower body injury. He did not return to the game. He is day-to-day and was apparently dealing with some tightness during warm-ups leading up to Wednesday's game.
Martin Hanzal and Rotislav Klesla were already scratched before Wednesday night's game with lower body injuries and listed as day-to-day. With the shortened, condensed schedule due to the lockout we could see more injuries this season.
He Said It:
Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett talking about goalie Mike Smith's lower body injury after the game.
The trainer told Tippett after warm-ups that Smith was "a little tight" and to keep an eye on him. Tippett said that "a little tight turned into can't play."
• Steve Sullivan is the first Coyotes player to record a hat trick since Shane Doan January 7th, 2012 against the New York Islanders.
• The Coyotes were also able to avoid their first 0-3 start since 1985-86, when the franchise was still in Winnipeg.
No rest for the weary...the Coyotes hop on a plane and head to San Jose where they will face the Sharks Thursday night. The game is scheduled to start at 8:30 pm MST.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!