Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 11:42 pm
'Yotes Notes: Sullivan hat trick leads Coyotes to first win of the season
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 5-1 win over the Blue Jackets on January 23.
The Coyotes finally got in the win column with a 5-1 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets Wednesday night at Jobing.com Arena. They got some scoring from newcomer Steve Sullivan, he recorded a hat trick with three goals on the night. Oliver Ekman-Larsson also got in on the action with two goals and an assist. The 'Yotes are now 1-2 on the season.
The 'Yotes lost goalie Mike Smith in the first period to a lower body injury. He did not return to the game. He is day-to-day and was apparently dealing with some tightness during warm-ups leading up to Wednesday's game.
Martin Hanzal and Rotislav Klesla were already scratched before Wednesday night's game with lower body injuries and listed as day-to-day. With the shortened, condensed schedule due to the lockout we could see more injuries this season.
He Said It:
Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett talking about goalie Mike Smith's lower body injury after the game.
The trainer told Tippett after warm-ups that Smith was "a little tight" and to keep an eye on him. Tippett said that "a little tight turned into can't play."
• Steve Sullivan is the first Coyotes player to record a hat trick since Shane Doan January 7th, 2012 against the New York Islanders.
• The Coyotes were also able to avoid their first 0-3 start since 1985-86, when the franchise was still in Winnipeg.
No rest for the weary...the Coyotes hop on a plane and head to San Jose where they will face the Sharks Thursday night. The game is scheduled to start at 8:30 pm MST.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- Phoenix Coyotes CEO: Dave Tippett 'a scientist when it comes to the sport'
- 2013-14 playoff berth for Coyotes ‘incredibly important' to franchise turnaround
- 'Yotes Notes: Rough 3rd period buries Phoenix Coyotes in Montreal
- Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan opens up about illness, timetable for return unknown
- 'Yotes Notes: Loose puck battle proves to be the difference, as Phoenix falls to Carolina
- Anthony LeBlanc, Coyotes President and CEO - Wednesday December 18Anthony LeBlanc, Coyotes President and CEO talks about the teams season so far.
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.