Mike Smith: 'We have to be ready from the drop of the puck'
Because of a lockout-shortened season, the Coyotes cannot afford to get off to a sluggish start. After all, they only have 48 games to make an impression.
"Usually, you can kind of creep your way into the season with some exhibition games and a longer camp, but it is what it is," goaltender Mike Smith said Sunday. "We have to be ready from the drop of the puck when the season starts on Saturday."
Phoenix opens on the road next Saturday against former Coyote Ray Whitney and the Dallas Stars, before coming home the following night to host the Chicago Blackhawks at Jobing.com Arena.
With the Coyotes scheduled to play 48 games in a condensed period of time, including seven back-to-back contests, the team recognizes how imperative it is to get the kinks and rust out during their one-week training camp.
"There's going to be a lot of hockey games all wrapped in a short season," said Smith. "There's no excuse for not being ready, because we have had four months to get ready for the season. We're very excited."
While expectations will be elevated this season given the Coyotes' recent run of success, Smith said he and his teammates are just thrilled to be back on the ice playing the game they love.
"There's some energy in the air now that the season's back," said Smith. "Everyone's getting geared up for a short camp and an early start to the season.
"I say early, but really it's been a long time coming."
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i