Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 7:08 pm
Upcoming Coyotes season 'going to be like a mini playoff series'
It's cliché and may very well ring true, unless of course you're talking about the upcoming lockout-shortened hockey season.
"Everybody wants to come out of the gate and do well," Phoenix Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett said. "I think getting out to a good start and consistency is going to be imperative if you're going to make the playoffs."
The NHL is expected to announce soon a 48-game season, squeezed into about four months.
Now while that may be a headache for teams, it may just have the opposite affect for fans.
"You know what," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said, "games are exciting when mistakes are made. Now, hopefully you don't make that many mistakes. But it will make for great hockey and exciting hockey and that's where I think where we'll get our fans back."
With the season shortened, teams will play only games against opponents within their own conference. For the Coyotes, that means a heavy dose of Pacific Division rivals Anaheim, Dallas, Los Angeles and San Jose.
"When you have your division games and your conference games, I mean, no games outside of it, it just brings that much more importance to it," Tippett said. "That's why I think you're going to see some great hockey because it's going to be like a mini playoff series right through."
- Three multi-point performances pace Coyotes to win over Islanders
- 'Yotes Notes: Phoenix ends three-game home losing streak with win over Islanders
- Tippett: Outdoor game in Phoenix would be 'great for our city'
- Coyotes coach Tippett: Backup G Thomas Greiss has 'earned the confidence of his teammates'
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?