Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 10:51 am
Did Shane Doan end the NHL lockout?
The prospect of having a season looked bleak, but suddenly Sunday morning, news broke of an agreement between the league and the NHLPA.
A story by Larry Brooks in this morning's New York Post describes some of the inner-workings of the final meeting between commissioner Gary Bettman and NHL lawyer Bob Batterman that solved the lockout, and it's safe to say that Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan may have had the biggest assist of his career in that meeting, which he also attended. The final sticking point was the league's proposed salary cap figure.
Doan, who left money on the table as a free agent this summer to remain in Phoenix, explained that the league's proposed $62.5M — increased at that point from the original $60M — would disrupt the lives of players and their families who would be forced to move because of trades and buyouts that would not otherwise take place under the union's more forgiving $64.3M transition number.
The Coyotes' winger convinced Bettman and Batterman that the issue wasn't about financial gain for the players, but on the contrary, for players would inevitably suffer greater escrow loss via a higher cap. It was, Doan said, about family life.
Brooks goes on to write that the NHL was impressed with Doan's point and agreed to the union's figure, paving the way for a truncated hockey season.
Is there anything Shane Doan can't do?
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?