Coyotes, Sean Burke agree to contract extension
The team announced Tuesday it has agreed to a three-year contract extension with Sean Burke, who last year served as director of player development and goaltending coach.
In addition to his role in helping goaltenders, Burke will now also serve as assistant to the general manager.
"We are very pleased to sign Sean to a contract extension," said GM Don Maloney in a press release. "For the past three years, Sean has done a tremendous job working with all the goaltenders in our organization helping them improve and succeed on the ice. We look forward to him continuing in this role and also assisting our hockey operations department in all areas of the business."
Burke has been credited for helping Mike Smith emerge as one of the game's elite goaltenders.
A former NHL goaltender, Burke spent five seasons in Phoenix. He appeared in 211 games with the team, posting a 97-78-29 record with a 2.39 GAA. He is the franchise's career leader in GAA and is second in save percentage (.919).
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i