D-backs CEO Derrick Hall discusses trade possibilities for Brad Ziegler
In the midst of a disappointing season, the D-backs were labeled sellers by team president and CEO Derrick Hall. Already, they've traded reliever Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana to the Los Angeles Angels and starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy to the New York Yankees.
Many are wondering who's next. Reliever Brad Ziegler, who has been about as steady as anybody on the D-backs roster, could draw interest around the Majors.
Hall, a guest of Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday, was asked about the Ziegler's future in the desert.
"He's impossible to replace," Hall said. "We saw how bad our team was back in '08, '09 and '10 when we didn't have a bullpen and how critical it is to have guys who can come in and hold a game in the seventh or eighth or even close if you need them to due to injury in the ninth -- Brad's done all of that.
"He could probably command a lot in return, but he's just too valuable."
Ziegler has been rock solid since being acquired by Arizona in a trade with the Oakland Athletics in July of 2011. The 34-year-old right-hander has appeared in a National League-leading 49 games this year, compiling a 4-1 record and a 2.42 ERA in 48.1 innings of work.
"Brad Ziegler has been so consistent for us the last couple years. He's been our go-to guy. He keeps the ball in the ball park, puts the ball on the ground, he gets the double play when he needs to," Hall said. "You just have so much confidence when that bullpen gate swings open and out comes Brad. It's tough to find guys like that.
"As long as you have that guy in the bullpen -- and again, we're talking about balancing it with veterans and young players, he is somebody you need down there to balance it out as a veteran presence who is going to come in and get the job done."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.