Updated Jul 15, 2014 - 10:48 pm
D-backs' Miguel Montero, Paul Goldschmidt fail to help losing NL squad to win at All-Star Game
Like most of the rest of their National League squad, the two Sedona red-donning players failed to do much to overcome the excellence of Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera, Felix Hernandez and the American Leaguers.
Goldschmidt, the NL's starting first baseman, went 0-for-3 with a strikeout against Hernandez, Yu Darvish and Max Scherzer. He came to the plate with two outs in all three at-bats and ended the inning each time.
In the first inning, Andrew McCutchen was standing on third base when Goldschmidt grounded out to third. And in the fifth, Troy Tulowitzki was on second when Scherzer struck Goldschmidt out.
In the field, Goldschmidt did, however, make a diving stop to rob Oakland Athletics' All-Star Josh Donaldson of a hit to lead off the fifth inning. The 2013 Gold Glove winner dove to his right and made a quick throw to St. Louis Cardinals' pitcher Pat Nishek to get the out.
Montero, meanwhile, entered the game in the eighth inning as a defensive replacement of Cincinnati Reds catcher Devon Mesoraco. He caught for Pittsburgh Pirates' relief pitcher Tony Watson and then Reds' closer Aroldis Chapman.
The next inning, Montero led off the ninth inning for the NL with a flyout to deep left-centerfield.
The AL squad ultimately won 5-3, with Trout and Cabrera each collecting a pair of RBI, while New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter was one of four players in the game to record multiple hits.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.