Arizona Diamondbacks recall Trevor Cahill, option Mike Bolsinger to Reno
Cahill, 26, began the season in the D-backs' rotation, but lasted just four starts after allowing 18 earned runs in 17.2 innings.
At that point he was sent to the bullpen where he pitched better with a 3.04 ERA in 23.2 innings, but was designated for assignment June 9 with the intention of bringing him back into the rotation at some point this season.
Cahill first went to High-A Visalia where he threw two innings and allowed four earned runs. From there he pitched for Triple-A Reno, where he compiled a 2-2 record with a 3.49 ERA in six starts. Cahill gave up 21 hits and 20 walks in 28.1 innings in Reno.
Cahill was originally acquired by the D-backs following the 2011 season in a deal that sent Jarrod Parker to the Oakland Athletics.
Cahill made the All-Star team with Oakland in 2010 and was 40-35 and a 3.91 ERA in his A's career.
Bolsinger, 26, made his major league debut this season, but is just 1-6 and has surrendered 66 hits and 32 earned runs in 52.1 innings.
The D-backs also announced their starting rotation following the All-Star break. Cahill is throwing first followed by Wade Miley, Josh Collmenter, Vidal Nuno and Chase Anderson.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.