Arizona Diamondbacks recall Trevor Cahill, option Mike Bolsinger to Reno
Cahill, 26, began the season in the D-backs' rotation, but lasted just four starts after allowing 18 earned runs in 17.2 innings.
At that point he was sent to the bullpen where he pitched better with a 3.04 ERA in 23.2 innings, but was designated for assignment June 9 with the intention of bringing him back into the rotation at some point this season.
Cahill first went to High-A Visalia where he threw two innings and allowed four earned runs. From there he pitched for Triple-A Reno, where he compiled a 2-2 record with a 3.49 ERA in six starts. Cahill gave up 21 hits and 20 walks in 28.1 innings in Reno.
Cahill was originally acquired by the D-backs following the 2011 season in a deal that sent Jarrod Parker to the Oakland Athletics.
Cahill made the All-Star team with Oakland in 2010 and was 40-35 and a 3.91 ERA in his A's career.
Bolsinger, 26, made his major league debut this season, but is just 1-6 and has surrendered 66 hits and 32 earned runs in 52.1 innings.
The D-backs also announced their starting rotation following the All-Star break. Cahill is throwing first followed by Wade Miley, Josh Collmenter, Vidal Nuno and Chase Anderson.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.