D-backs prospect Andrew Velazquez reaches base for minor league-record 72nd straight game
Arizona Diamondbacks prospect Andrew Velazquez, a shortstop for Single-A South Bend, reached base on a single in the second inning of the Silver Hawks' 10-7 win Sunday to extend his streak of reaching base to a minor league-record 72 straight games -- one more than the former Red Sox teammates, who set the record in 1997 and 2003 respectively.
During the streak, which began on April 22, Velazquez has collected 94 hits, 41 walks and four HBPs.
He's also hitting over .316 over the last 72 contests.
A seventh-round pick by the D-backs back in 2012, Velazquez has made the most of his time on base in 2014, stealing a career-high 40 bases -- second most in the Midwest League.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?