Wade Miley off to a sizzling hot July for Diamondbacks
Wade Miley is leading an aggressive counter campaign against that reality.
Since July 1, the left-hander has held his opponents to just three earned runs over 21.2 innings pitched -- good for a 1.25 ERA in those three starts.
Facing the Pittsburgh Pirates, Atlanta Braves and, Saturday, the San Francisco Giants, Miley has struck out more hitters than he has allowed baserunners, recording 22 strikeouts so far this month, while allowing just 17 opposing hitters to reach base.
Since the month began, Miley has seen his season ERA drop by nearly half-a-run, from 4.61 to 4.18 by game's end Saturday. A winning result Saturday against the Giants improved his record to 5-6 on the year, giving him wins in two of his last three outings. On July 1, against the Pirates at PNC Park, he exited the game after the eighth inning with a 2-0 lead but saw his bullpen falter late, erasing his winning effort.
Miley's last three starts easily qualify as his most consistent of the season thus far, as he's only won consecutive starts once prior this year, in April.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.