Updated Jul 10, 2014 - 5:46 pm
ESPN's Tim Kurkjian: Give Vidal Nuno a chance
It was a trade involving two struggling players, but ESPN baseball insider Tim Kurkjian says it's too soon to chalk the deal up as a loss for the D-backs.
"I think it was worth a try for the Diamondbacks," Kurkjian told Burns and Gambo Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It's a season you want to forget so why not try somebody a little bit younger and see how it goes."
It certainly went well for the 26-year-old Nuno Tuesday night against the Miami Marlins when he only gave up three hits and had seven strikeouts in seven innings pitched. Kurkjian added that the D-backs needed youth, and given the way the team has performed this season, a roll of the dice was in order.
"You have to get younger, you have to get better if you're the Diamondbacks," Kurkjian said. "He's a young pitcher so we're going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to do this."
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.