Updated Jul 10, 2014 - 5:46 pm
ESPN's Tim Kurkjian: Give Vidal Nuno a chance
It was a trade involving two struggling players, but ESPN baseball insider Tim Kurkjian says it's too soon to chalk the deal up as a loss for the D-backs.
"I think it was worth a try for the Diamondbacks," Kurkjian told Burns and Gambo Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It's a season you want to forget so why not try somebody a little bit younger and see how it goes."
It certainly went well for the 26-year-old Nuno Tuesday night against the Miami Marlins when he only gave up three hits and had seven strikeouts in seven innings pitched. Kurkjian added that the D-backs needed youth, and given the way the team has performed this season, a roll of the dice was in order.
"You have to get younger, you have to get better if you're the Diamondbacks," Kurkjian said. "He's a young pitcher so we're going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to do this."
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.