D-backs' Tony La Russa: Kevin Towers 'did a great job' on McCarthy trade
The first was likely a question about whether they got enough in return.
The second probably centered around who engineered the trade from the D-backs' side, general manager Kevin Towers or chief baseball officer Tony La Russa.
La Russa, who has been on the job since mid-May, clarified the process Wednesday morning during an interview with Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
"Kevin made me a part of the discussion from the beginning," he said. "And I think he's made two outstanding moves so far."
Last weekend, Towers also traded lefty reliever Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana to the Los Angeles Angels for two prospects -- right-handed pitcher Joey Krehbiel and outfielder Zach Borenstein.
"We were right on the same page, not only with the McCarthy trade but other discussions that are being held," La Russa said. "I really believe at this point McCarthy could've used a change of scenery. We were able to free up some money, which I'm confident will go into the pot and be used to improve our roster.
"At the same time, I thought Kevin did a really good job and came back with some value."
That value is Nuño, who pitched brilliantly in his D-backs debut Tuesday night. The California native pitched seven shutout innings, allowing just three hits while striking out seven and walking one, but settled for a no-decision after closer Addison Reed blew a save opportunity in the ninth inning.
"I thought it was a good trade," La Russa said.
McCarthy, meanwhile, will make his Yankees debut Wednesday against the Cleveland Indians at Progressive Field.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?