D-backs' Tony La Russa: Kevin Towers 'did a great job' on McCarthy trade
The first was likely a question about whether they got enough in return.
The second probably centered around who engineered the trade from the D-backs' side, general manager Kevin Towers or chief baseball officer Tony La Russa.
La Russa, who has been on the job since mid-May, clarified the process Wednesday morning during an interview with Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
"Kevin made me a part of the discussion from the beginning," he said. "And I think he's made two outstanding moves so far."
Last weekend, Towers also traded lefty reliever Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana to the Los Angeles Angels for two prospects -- right-handed pitcher Joey Krehbiel and outfielder Zach Borenstein.
"We were right on the same page, not only with the McCarthy trade but other discussions that are being held," La Russa said. "I really believe at this point McCarthy could've used a change of scenery. We were able to free up some money, which I'm confident will go into the pot and be used to improve our roster.
"At the same time, I thought Kevin did a really good job and came back with some value."
That value is Nuño, who pitched brilliantly in his D-backs debut Tuesday night. The California native pitched seven shutout innings, allowing just three hits while striking out seven and walking one, but settled for a no-decision after closer Addison Reed blew a save opportunity in the ninth inning.
"I thought it was a good trade," La Russa said.
McCarthy, meanwhile, will make his Yankees debut Wednesday against the Cleveland Indians at Progressive Field.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.