Updated Jul 10, 2014 - 8:30 am
D-backs' Mark Trumbo on fire in minor league rehab stint
If his performance in a minor league rehab assignment is any indication, he hasn't lost anything from his power stroke since he's been away.
Trumbo went 3-for-4 with a solo home run Tuedsay for the Reno Aces in a 6-2 loss to the Las Vegas 51s. It was the second straight day he's homered -- Trumbo also had a grand slam Monday night.
In six minor league games, including four with the Diamondbacks' Arizona Rookie League team, Trumbo is hitting .476 (10-for-21) with four homers and 11 RBI.
The performance means Trumbo is just about ready to return to the D-backs, perhaps even before the All-Star break.
"It's possible it'll be before -- we have conversations every day about that -- but more than likely it's going to be after," manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Maybe he'll make an appearance this weekend in the Giants series, but it's unlikely."
Should Trumbo not return before the break, it is likely he'd be back when the D-backs resume their schedule July 18 against the Chicago Cubs at Chase Field.
Update: Trumbo homered again Wednesday night, clubbing a solo shot to center field off of Daniel Gorski in Reno's 15-6 win over Las Vegas.
The homer was Trumbo's only hit of the game, but he's now batting .455 (5-for-11) with three homers and six RBI in three games at the Triple-A level.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.