Updated Jul 10, 2014 - 8:30 am
D-backs' Mark Trumbo on fire in minor league rehab stint
If his performance in a minor league rehab assignment is any indication, he hasn't lost anything from his power stroke since he's been away.
Trumbo went 3-for-4 with a solo home run Tuedsay for the Reno Aces in a 6-2 loss to the Las Vegas 51s. It was the second straight day he's homered -- Trumbo also had a grand slam Monday night.
In six minor league games, including four with the Diamondbacks' Arizona Rookie League team, Trumbo is hitting .476 (10-for-21) with four homers and 11 RBI.
The performance means Trumbo is just about ready to return to the D-backs, perhaps even before the All-Star break.
"It's possible it'll be before -- we have conversations every day about that -- but more than likely it's going to be after," manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Maybe he'll make an appearance this weekend in the Giants series, but it's unlikely."
Should Trumbo not return before the break, it is likely he'd be back when the D-backs resume their schedule July 18 against the Chicago Cubs at Chase Field.
Update: Trumbo homered again Wednesday night, clubbing a solo shot to center field off of Daniel Gorski in Reno's 15-6 win over Las Vegas.
The homer was Trumbo's only hit of the game, but he's now batting .455 (5-for-11) with three homers and six RBI in three games at the Triple-A level.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.